Patient flow optimisation: consulting and software for Healthcare providers
Process Evolution’s evidence-based approach has been developed specifically for the Emergency Services. Its purpose is to help you meet the challenges posed by time-dependent and volatile demand in the most effective and efficient manner. Uniquely, we combine the what-if? capability of simulation modelling with the shift pattern design software to enable the development of demand-led rosters. These place suitably skilled resources where and when they are required whilst meeting working time regulations and considering employees’ work-life balance. We have worked with several UK ambulance services, delivering strategic reviews of Emergency Medical Services provision. Our work has led to recommendations affecting fleet mix, location of resources and shift patterns. Upon implementation, improvements in performance against the national response standards (A8, B19) have been realised. We have reviewed shift patterns and working practices in Emergency Operations Centres in order to optimise performance against national call handling targets. Our latest development is a demand forecasting capability. This enables ambulance services to make more informed decisions about abstraction and overtime management in response to anticipated short-term demand fluctuations, leading to improved response times and reduced overtime costs.
Working smarter to meet demand
South Western Ambulance Service has been working with Process Evolution since 2008 and has established its own internal capability to use the evidence based toolset. The toolset was used to underpin the Trust’s 5-year business plan, part of its successful application to become a foundation trust. It is now seen as a fundamental part of the Trust’s strategy of continuous improvement.
“The difference with Process Evolution’s approach is that it produces practical recommendations for change that we can action, rather than a theoretical report which sits on a shelf and no one looks at”John Wright
Make Ready / Hub and Spoke implementation
West Midlands Ambulance Service’s Make Ready programme involved establishing large ‘hub stations’ in place of the previous network of 52 smaller stations. Vehicles start and finish duty at a hub but spread out to a network of strategically located tactical deployment points (spokes). Process Evolution’s evidence based suite was used to simulate the proposed design and refine plans accordingly.
Our evidence-based consulting service
1. Scope: what needs to be done? We meet with stakeholders so that we can establish a single-team approach and a shared understanding of objectives, priorities and context. This is crystallised in the scoping report.
2. Baseline and diagnose: where are you now? We capture data from client systems and using our powerful analytical tools are able to show clients what is really happening rather than what they think is happening. With a baseline for current processes, performance and workload, we can clarify the rationale for change and identify areas of opportunity.
3. Model, evaluate & optimise: what are the options for handling demand? With our suite of modelling software, we can use our client data to run a series of accurate 'what-if?' scenarios. These allow you to determine the consequences and costs of, say, adjusting performance targets, the number and categories of vehicles and staff and changes in organisation structures - without the risk and cost of real-life experiments.
4. Report and recommend: what do you need to do?We work with our clients to agree the clear evidence-based options. They are then equipped to make sound decisions about how best to maximise performance and make savings.
5. Support implementation: how do you adapt? We continue to support clients throughout the implementation phase, helping to keep the programme on-track by monitoring the realisation of benefits, responding to real-world change and carrying out on-going analysis.
The software suite for Healthcare and Ambulance services
Scenario modelling of emergency medical services to optimise where, when and how resources are deployed
Transforming data held on operational systems into meaningful management information
Aligning assets and resources to where demand occurs
Design of working time compliant shift patterns that align resources to when demand occurs
More information & resources
Ambulance UK Magazine – South Western Ambulance Service case study
Ambulance Today magazine – West Midlands Ambulance Service case study
Find out how you can achieve better performance and more savings from your next reorganisation
Telephone: 0845 603 6568
Process Evolution Limited
31 GreenBox Office Park