Risk management: consulting and software for Fire & Rescue Services
We analyse the incident data specific to your locality and provide solutions upon risk based evidence. We assess the incident type and numbers to formulate proposals that offer efficiencies and new ways of working with your front line services. We can offer opportunities to transform and improve current crewing models to a more flexible approach by time of day or night, week and month and can align this data analysis to optimise the location of your front line and specialist fire appliances.
What if, for example, we were to maintain your current performance standards yet offer a far more efficient way of working? What if we provided an effective flexible crewing model for core and specialist appliances? What if we proposed more two seater ‘Rapid Response’ type appliances reflective of much higher numbers of smaller fires and lower numbers of larger fires? What if we proposed a completely new shift system for your Service based on the changing risk profile within your area? The list is endless, but what we can do is provide tried and tested opportunities and solutions, combined with the experience, skills and professional judgement of your teams.
City of Winchester fire station
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service develops ‘Activity Based Crewing’ model
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service has recently underpinned its comprehensive Risk Review project with evidence-based consulting services provided by Process Evolution. The outcome is a 5-tiered approach to capability covering both Local Intervention and Strategic Support. Under the new model, the service is moving away from sending the traditional fire engine crewed by between four and six people to every incident regardless of the resources required to deal with it. The approach is enabled by an Activity Based Crewing model that aligns each fire station’s crew numbers to the peaks in activity and demand. The new model results in greater flexibility and efficiency and an improved capability to resource incidents across Hampshire as a whole.
With this change, not only have response times to Coventry incidents improved, but the service has enjoyed significant efficiency improvementRory Campbell
West Midlands Fire Service embeds evidence based toolset in its decision making processes
Following a successful initial consulting engagement, West Midlands Fire Service routinely uses Process Evolution’s Fire Incident Response Simulator to evaluate options for changes to fire cover. The full case study can be reference by clicking here
Our evidence-based consulting service
1. Scope: what needs to be done? We meet with stakeholders so that we can establish a single-team approach and a shared understanding of objectives, priorities and context. This is crystallised in the scoping report.
2. Baseline and diagnose: where are you now? We capture data from client systems and using our powerful analytical tools are able to show clients what is really happening rather than what they think is happening. With a baseline for current processes, performance and workload, we can clarify the rationale for change and identify areas of opportunity.
3. Model, evaluate & optimise: what are the options for handling demand? With our suite of modelling software, we can use our client data to run a series of accurate 'what-if?' scenarios. These allow you to determine the consequences and costs of, say, adjusting performance targets, the number and categories of vehicles and staff and changes in organisation structures - without the risk and cost of real-life experiments.
4. Report and recommend: what do you need to do?We work with our clients to agree the clear evidence-based options. They are then equipped to make sound decisions about how best to maximise performance and make savings.
5. Support implementation: how do you adapt? We continue to support clients throughout the implementation phase, helping to keep the programme on-track by monitoring the realisation of benefits, responding to real-world change and carrying out on-going analysis.
The software suite for the Fire & Rescue service
Scenario modelling to optimise fire cover for effective management of risk
Optimising the crewing of fire and rescue appliances
Transforming data held on operational systems into meaningful management information
Aligning assets and resources to where demand occurs
Design of working time compliant shift patterns that align resources to when demand occurs
More information & resources
Our Fire & Rescue Services Brochure
Asia Pacific Fire – Learning from the Christchurch Earthquake
Fire Magazine – West Midlands Fire Service case study
Fire Magazine – Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service case study
Find out how you can achieve better performance and more savings from your next reorganisation
Telephone: 0845 603 6568
Process Evolution Limited
31 GreenBox Office Park